Hey, more fractal fun tonight as I attack PyPy! I must admit, this effort was more challenging – PyPy is pretty big and scary, but I found the folks in #pypy to be quite helpful. exarkun helped me quite a bit in working out the details. (Apparently PyPy doesn’t use ctypes anymore, it uses rffi .. which is sparsely documented.) Anyway with exarkun’s help I got a crude SDL wrapper put together!
Initially I just implemented my julia demo again, but I figured it would make for a boring blog entry to have the same pictures two days in a row. As it turns out, the julia was about 30% faster in PyPy than in shed-skin. Both shed-skin and PyPy appear to have similar limitations. shed-skin’s error messages are less cryptic than PyPy’s. Both FFI’s were somewhat challenging to work with, though I think I prefer shed-skin’s.
If you want to give it a whirl, download PyPy and my junk. The NOTES.txt file lists the command I used to build the executable. Sorry if the mouse interface is a bit lousy, but it was the best I could do in 2 minutes.