Phil Hassey - game dev blog
Phil Hassey as Snidely Whiplash
"You can't buy awesomeness.
You're born that way."

Archive for the 'crazy' Category


Thursday, December 6th, 2007



Yeah, it’s arrived.  Check it out at!!!  In the meantime, maybe you should SHAVE YOUR CHEST WITH A LAWNMOWER!

Attacking PyPy

Friday, November 30th, 2007

Hey, more fractal fun tonight as I attack PyPy! I must admit, this effort was more challenging – PyPy is pretty big and scary, but I found the folks in #pypy to be quite helpful. exarkun helped me quite a bit in working out the details. (Apparently PyPy doesn’t use ctypes anymore, it uses rffi .. which is sparsely documented.) Anyway with exarkun’s help I got a crude SDL wrapper put together!


Initially I just implemented my julia demo again, but I figured it would make for a boring blog entry to have the same pictures two days in a row. As it turns out, the julia was about 30% faster in PyPy than in shed-skin. Both shed-skin and PyPy appear to have similar limitations. shed-skin’s error messages are less cryptic than PyPy’s. Both FFI’s were somewhat challenging to work with, though I think I prefer shed-skin’s.

If you want to give it a whirl, download PyPy and my junk. The NOTES.txt file lists the command I used to build the executable. Sorry if the mouse interface is a bit lousy, but it was the best I could do in 2 minutes.

Halloween game development

Thursday, November 8th, 2007

Marshie Attacks: Halloween Interactive Driveway Activity

Some really cool game dev going on there.  They used python, pygame, pysight, lasers, bedsheets and potato canons to create an interactive Halloween game!

Watermelons on facebook

Thursday, November 8th, 2007

Watermelons was a pygame game made in about 8 hours one evening on the #ludumdare channel. Since then I’ve ported it to flash using haxe. This past weekend I integrated it into the facebook API. You can check the app out here. My server-side high score system was written with PHP.

The integration was somewhat challenging, since I was using a language not supported by facebook (haxe) and my integration involved using flash, which has some restrictions when used within FMBL. To work around these things, I had to embed my flash object within an iframe and then pass high scores back through my main web script in the browser window (instead of as a background request) in order to be able to use all the facebook notification features.

So far (after about 5 days) the app has about 160 users, which isn’t very many. But I suppose it’s not bad for my first shot at writing a facebook app.

Summer Sausage Festival 2007

Friday, November 2nd, 2007

The time has come for us to begin living our lives! Check out for the MOST EXCITING thing that is going to happen in 2007!!!